This is simply an undocumented issue and it is correct.
_value is the tag attribute and it works as expected.
value is for internal use and it contain the current value of an input
field that is to be set by the user. hidden input fields ignore value
because they only have a _value. I will try exmplain this better in
the next version of the manual.