Not quite clear what the problem is. What you put in the view shouldn't
matter -- that just generates the HTML to display the widgets -- it doesn't
have anything to do with validation (and form.custom.widget.fieldname will
produce the same HTML as form.element(_name='fieldname')). Of course, you
won't be able to use form.custom.widget.fieldname for the fields you
manually added to the form.

If you have time, perhaps you could produce a minimal app that replicates
the problem. Include one page that uses form.custom.widget and one that
uses form.element(), and explain how they behave differently.

Also, note that form.elements()[0][0] is simply equivalent to form[0].

Anthony