I have replaced the standard verification with my own. The standard
authentication is pretty simple as it creates a unique key, which it stores in
the database and sends as a link to the registrant. When the link is clicked it
will match the registration details with the unique id and stores (accepts the
user) them.

This way you can customize the template and use email API (json), which is much
more powerful than smtp method (I use mailgun).

Ykä