I finally found a solution. It's like Jonathan Lundell explained in this
thread https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/web2py/LUCVm9pKX28:

The normal call, form=auth(), is dynamic (see Auth.__call__), and returns
> the form that's appropriate to the request URL. Auth.register() does a
> redirect to profile if the user is logged in.

Now I could work around this problem. Maybe it's a good idea to mention
this in the documentation and to make this behavior configurable.