Found the reference to the 2.61 changes.  I copied appadmin from welcome to
my two applications, likewise web2py.js (into static/js).  I copied
wsgihandler.py from the handlers directory.

This did not fix anything.  And really didn't do anything as I started from
a fresh install from sources.

No, there is something that the uwsgi config just doesn't track--something
is missing from the new web2py file structure that must be hardcoded in the
"classic" uwsgi config.

There are so many approaches to configuring uwsgi that can be used
concurrently, which are scattered into multiple locations, that I cannot
tell what actually governs what happens.  This is the web2py.xml file but I
have no idea if this is really doing anything:
<uwsgi>
    <plugin>python</plugin>
    <socket>/run/uwsgi/app/web2py/web2py.socket</socket>
    <pythonpath>/var/web2py/</pythonpath>
    <app mountpoint="/">
        <script>wsgihandler</script>
    </app>
    <master/>
    <processes>4</processes>
    <harakiri>60</harakiri>
    <reload-mercy>8</reload-mercy>
    <cpu-affinity>1</cpu-affinity>
    <stats>/tmp/stats.socket</stats>
    <max-requests>2000</max-requests>
    <limit-as>512</limit-as>
    <reload-on-as>256</reload-on-as>
    <reload-on-rss>192</reload-on-rss>
    <no-orphans/>
    <vacuum/>
</uwsgi>

This might be the governing nginx config for the web2py server:

server {
        listen          80;
        server_name     $hostname;
        location ~* /(\w+)/static/ {
           root /var/web2py/applications/;
        }
         location / {
                #uwsgi_pass      127.0.0.1:9001;
                uwsgi_pass      unix:///run/uwsgi/app/web2py/web2py.socket;
                include         uwsgi_params;
                uwsgi_param     UWSGI_SCHEME $scheme;
                uwsgi_param     SERVER_SOFTWARE    nginx/$nginx_version;
        }
}

server {
        listen          443;
        server_name     $hostname;
        ssl                     on;
        ssl_certificate         /etc/nginx/ssl/web2py.crt;
        ssl_certificate_key     /etc/nginx/ssl/web2py.key;
        location / {
                #uwsgi_pass      127.0.0.1:9001;
                uwsgi_pass      unix:///run/uwsgi/app/web2py/web2py.socket;
                include         uwsgi_params;
                uwsgi_param     UWSGI_SCHEME $scheme;
                uwsgi_param     SERVER_SOFTWARE    nginx/$nginx_version;
        }

}

I am still stumped.