Good point. You can also use response.render(), which may be a bit simpler:

mytext = cache.ram('mytext',
                   lambda: response.render('path/to/template.html'),
                   time_expire=3600)

The path must be relative to the app's /views folder (you can use ../ to
get out of that folder), and the view will be rendered in the current
web2py environment. response.render() also takes a dictionary-like second
argument to add variables to the environment, as well as keyword arguments
to do the same. The gluon.template.render() function provides a little more
flexibility to render in a different environment and to more easily point
to templates and included files outside the usual /views folder (or to use
template code stored in the database).

Anthony