Hi,
if the index is slow with 100k dummy data you should create an index and on
the other hand review your code.
Create indexes on columns used by the query that generates the index; for
what concerns the query, can you please post that code?
Finally, be aware that for the moment you should create the indexes outside
web2py, there is a plan to add this feature in the upcoming releases see:
https://code.google.com/p/web2py/issues/detail?id=1665&sort=-id

Paolo