Just realized I added the following lines after my db.define_table
statement:

db.sometable.start_time.notnull = True
db.sometable.start_time.requires = IS_NOT_EMPTY()

I'm thinking that my assignment of IS_NOT_EMPTY() overwrote the default
IS_TIME() validator associated with time fields.  Does this sound like what
the problem is?  If so, how do I get around it?