On 13 Nov 2013, at 1:44 AM, Noah <knudsenn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand that Web2Py's urls work like this:
> 127.0.0.1:9292/<ApplicationName>/<ControllerName>/<ControllerFunction>
>
> I'm building an app that has user logins and I want to have a sort of profile
> page for each user that has an easy to remember URL. Similar to on twitter
> where to go to a user's page you just navigate totwitter.com/<UserName>. How
> does one achieve this using Web2Py?
>
> Currently I have it working so that the Username is a GET parameter and the
> URL looks like:
> 127.0.0.1:9292/<ApplicationName>/Users/Wall?UserName=Thomas1
> Where 'Users' is the Controller and 'Wall' is the function.
>
> I want it to be: 127.0.0.1:9292/<ApplicationName>/Users/Thomas1

The parametric router should be able to help you out.

Define a router for your app that includes something like this. I'll call the
app 'Noah'.

routers = dict(

    # base router
    BASE=dict(
        default_application='Noah',
    ),

    Noah=dict(
        default_controller = 'YouPick',   # this *could* be 'Users', of course,
if you want to leave it out of your URLs: http://mydomain.com/Thomas1.
        default_function = dict(
            Users='Wall',
        ),
       functions = dict(
            Users=['Wall', 'Index', 'Whatever'],
       ),
    ),
)

By making default_function a dictionary, you can specify a different default
function per controller. If that's not important to you, you can just make it a
string and give each controller the same default function.

Listing functions per controller gives the router enough information that it
can recognize that 'Thomas1' in your example is not a function name. You might
want to name functions in Users such that you'd never encounter a user by that
name (or reserve those names in your registration process).

The general idea is that you have to give the router enough information that it
can unambiguously parse your incoming URLs.