I am not a django user but what happens if you edit a file in django? Do
you need to restart the webserver to make it work?
In web2py you don't (except for modules). Web2py behaves different and it
has its advantages.

But can you tell me why does one need compiled files during development?

(In fact, I don't even compile files in production and no one ever
complained)

It could be possible to make auto compilation in web2py but I don't see why
would anyone need that.
Also ,it is not a django feature, it is a python feature.

pyc files should be created in web2py in /modules automatically. If you
want more django-like behavior, you can write your code inside modules.

Marin