Thank you Niphlod. I see what you mean. I'll try to convert my code in
order to build a custom formstyle. However, I'll share my code with the
web2py users group: maybe it could be useful to someone.
About the menu, I have in my mind a simple change to the MENU helper that
should semplify its customization client side (jquery and css) but I have
to investigate more on this.
Anyway, the menu complexity is due to lack of support for multilevel
submenus. If we need a single level menu there's no need to modify the
web2py code.
For the sake of completeness, Foundation framework supports the multilevel
menu, but its css breaks the web2py calendar css.
It seems that every css framework has its own Achilles' Heel.