I have more details. As stated before, I erased all sessions. That didn't
fix the problem.

I then did a session.forget() from within my main routine. That got past
the pickle problem temporarily, but created a lot of other problems. After
that, I removed the session.forget() operation from the main routine and
things got back to normal. BUT only for my session.

If I open another session in a different browser. I'm back to square one
with that browser session. Same TypeError: can't pickle instancemethod
objects. If I go through the session.forget() and then remove
session.forget() procedure again, it starts to work in the new browser
session.

But it seems to be a one shot deal with each new session. I don't see that
it's tenable to go through this every time someone first surfs to the site.