If you generally don't want flash messages, you can remove the
response.flash code from layout.html. If you want to prevent specific
messages, you can do so via the arguments to SQLFORM. For Auth messages,
you can do things like:

auth.messages.logged_in = None

SQLFORM and Auth set the messages via response.flash or session.flash (in
case a redirect is being done), so you can also do something like:

response.flash = session.flash = None

any time after the SQLFORM or Auth code has run (but before the function
returns and the view is executed).

Anthony