I  just wrote my own way to do it yesterday which worked great. I would
love it to go upstream.

It's just a standard file upload with the multiple attribute.

here's the entire thing: it spits out a form.

my db looks like this:

db.define_table('uploads',
    Field('username', 'string'),
    Field('filename', represent = lambda x, row: "None" if x == None else
x[:45]),
    Field('up_file', 'upload', uploadseparate=True,
requires=IS_NOT_EMPTY()),
    Field('up_date', 'datetime'),
    Field('up_size', 'integer', represent= lambda x, row:
quikr_utils.sizeof_fmt(x) ),
    Field('notes', 'text'))

my contorller

def submit():
  import datetime

  form = FORM(LABEL("File(s):"), INPUT(_name='up_files', _type='file',
_multiple=''), BR(), LABEL("Notes:"), TEXTAREA(_name='notes'),
BR(),INPUT(_type='submit'))

  if form.accepts(request.vars, formname="form"):

    if hasattr(request.vars, 'up_files'):
      if len(request.vars.up_files) > 0:

        files = request.vars['up_files']
        if not isinstance(files, list):
          files = [files]

        for f in files:
          print f.filename
          up_file = db.uploads.up_file.store(f, f.filename)
          i = db.uploads.insert(notes=request.vars.notes,
up_file=up_file,filename=f.filename, username = auth.user.email, up_date=
datetime.datetime.now())
          db.commit()

        redirect(URL('data', 'index'))
      else:
        form.errors.up_files = "No files selected"

  return dict(form=form)