On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 5:37:12 AM UTC+1, Jayadevan M wrote:

> Thank you. So fake_migrate=True will scan the structure defined for tables
> defined under models in the .py files and create files under databases so
> that the structure defined in the python files and in the databases folder
> are same. It wil not really connect to the database at all.

it will connect, but it won't issue any DDL statement (change in structure
of the underlying db). Also, one run of fake_migrate=True is enough, it's
not meant to be left on.

> If we set migrate=false, web2py will not do any checks at all, but
> 'assume' that the database table structure is in synch with those defined
> under the models, and issue a ticket if there are issues.
> The files under database folder have no significance if migrate=False.

Yep, and that's why in production you **should** always set migrate=False:
web2py won't have to "diff" models and .table files to see if there are any
DDL statements to issue over and over.