On 10 Jan 2014, at 12:16 AM, Tarun Kumar <reach.tarun.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi! people I am new to web2py and web development. I am a bit confused about
> the request object. In its variables which can be accessed by
> request.vars.variable_name are the values stored only for the most recent
> request or for all the past requests.
> Considering the example given in web2py book overview section in which we use
> action attribute of the form and in the second function retrieve the visitors
> name using request.vars.visitor_name. My question is now that after a
> redirect to some other page will request.vars.visitor_name still be
> accessible?

Request is only the current request.

request.vars is a dictionary representing the URL's query string. If you want
request.vars.visitor_name to be visible after a redirect, you must include it
in the query string of the URL you're redirecting to.

Alternatively you could store the visitor_name in session, making it visible to
subsequent requests.