Thanks, Michele! Even though the ping isn't particularly slow, adding the
entry to /etc/hosts does the trick for the web2py startup.

I'm still thinking that lookups might be slow for all sorts of reasons, and
the following bunch of lines should perhaps be moved from console()
into web2pyDialog.__init__(), right above the place where options.ips is
used (options.ips could become a local variable then):

    try:
        options.ips = list(set( # no duplicates
            [addrinfo[4][0] for addrinfo in getipaddrinfo(socket.getfqdn())
             if not is_loopback_ip_address(addrinfo=addrinfo)]))
    except socket.gaierror:
        options.ips = []