Thanks, I came up with this:

db.thing._after_insert.append(lambda f,id:
db(db.person.id==f['owner_id']).update(total_items=len(db(db.thing.owner_id==f['owner_id']).select())))

It works, but is there is a better way to do this? Also, can someone help
me with _after_delete? _after_delete gives me a set of db.thing.id, and I'm
not sure how to use this to update the db.persons.total_items field.