> I don't know that needing to define a per-request readable/writable is
> such a common use-case - or else I don't fully understand what you are
> alluding to...

Sometimes you want to show/hide particular fields in a form, grid, etc.
depending on some condition, so you set the readable and writable
attributes dynamically in the controller. Also, default, represent, and
compute attributes as well as validators sometimes use request specific
data.

> If so, I guess they would have to be re-set automatically by the DAL
> object on each request,

It's not just a matter of resetting. If there is only a single fixed
instance of an object that gets imported from a module, any change to an
attribute during a request will persist (and affect other simultaneous
requests).

Anthony