still can't reproduce in 2.8.2 with Firefox 26.0 or chrome 32

The "edit" link should have this attribute in the source-code *data-w2p_target
*that enables the "load into component" behaviour. The button markup
**should** look like

*c345058654325*" data-w2p_method="GET" data-w2p_disable_with="default"
class="button btn"><span class="icon pen icon-pencil"></span><span title="
*Edit*" class="buttontext button">*Edit*</span></a>

The bold parts are the only one "allowed" to change, and they are
respectively the randomly-generated cid and the "Edit" translations. If you
can confirm that this is indeed the source-code but your app is behaving
differently, then we can look at the reason why the default js handler is
not working in your environment.
In that case: can you open your debug console in FF and see if there are
any js errors ?