how are you "custom building" the binary ?

The "official" scripts deals with py2exe's incorrect packaging system with
these lines

https://github.com/web2py/web2py/blob/master/extras/build_web2py/setup_exe.py#L100

BTW: we're moving towards bbfreeze packed binaries, and they seem to work
well with bbreeze 0.13