> Hello,
>
> Do you consider it's safe to work with web2py on localhost machine and
> use sqlite3 database as storage (which greatly simplifies setup) and
> then deploy application on the production server by using e.g.
> PostgreSQL database?

There are some difficulties when you need to migrate data between both
backends. Currently, if you have a complex model, you have to resort to
engine specific commands to solve constraint issues like disabling triggers
and usually you need to reorder model table definitions. In some cases like
circular references, reordering is not enough, and there's need to manually
fix the constraints. I've posted a module for web2py shell which automates
the migration here:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/web2py-developers/QxeJNByj6qc/cpBHsa1ymUkJ

But you still need to fix the model definition order so it works with
postgresql

BTW: there is a work-in-progress modification of dal so the engine
migration is transparent.