What you're looking for is called a "slug". Web2py makes it really easy,
since it already has a validator that can create a slug:
http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/07/forms-and-validators?search=is_slug

Last time I implemented this was for a concert site, creating a slug from
the concert name, location, etc. Then I used the precreated slug together
with the concert id in the URL args, displaying something like
domain.com/concert/917/artist-city-date-venue-something-something-etc. to
visitors. Basically, the id is needed, the rest is just there for the show
(and SEO).

Regards