I'm not sure I'm understanding exactly what you're trying to do. You say
you want to display the value of the foreign key (which would be an
integer) but in your code you seem to be only interested in the names. So
this may or may not be what you want.

I've found a bug here

rs = db(db.owner.id==db.dog.owner).select(db.owner.name, db.owner.name)

This should be:

rs = db(db.owner.id==db.dog.owner).select(db.owner.name,
db.dog.name<http://db.owner.name/>
)

Then you can do:

for r in rs: