I extended the auth_user table with additional profile fields (e.g. phone
number, alert preference, etc.) and I'm trying to customize the
registration form so that it shows only the desired fields (accomplished
per documentation) and display the desired fields in a custom manner,
including adding a drop down which is based on content which isn't in the
database. I'm struggling to figure out a way to control the form's display
and processing - I'm either not understanding the documentation and other
instructions I found or trying to do something odd.

   - I'm exposing the user() function at /{app}/login rather than the
   standard location.
   - I tried to place a def register() function in the /{app}/long
   controller but that doesn't seem to have any effect.
   - I can display the custom registration form using an if statement in
   the login/user view, but I'm not sure how to process it afterwards when it
   submits (nor where it submits to).

Any help/pointers would be much appreciated.