> I have an application in PHP with 500 over tables

did you already create the web2py models for your current database? i mean
using the extract script.
e.g.
web2py\scripts\extract_mysql_models.py

without repeating model definitions

pardon me, don't know what do you mean about this, if you mean the
repeating model definitions is migrate, i think you can achieve it after
you extract the database into models (above steps is done) and set in the
dal :
migrate = False, fake_migrate_all = False

> nor loading them all.

for this, i think the answer is same like the others suggestion, is to use
the modelless (modules) or response.models_to_run(), your choice.
if you follow the above steps (extract, and set the migrate value), i think
you only can use response.models_to_run(), because in modelless (modules)
you must redefine the tables again in modules.

best regards,
stifan