It sounds like (2) should be done in background. web2py's scheduler handles
that. You write some code which does the insert, and then get the scheduler
to run it. The "scheduler" is a separate web2py instance for your
application, which doesn't serve web-pages, it just runs jobs. Apart from
that, it works like everything else in web2py (so it uses your app's models
and the DAL). You can actually develop your code as a controller function
as if was to run interactively, and when you're comfortable with it,
convert it into a scheduler job.  The scheduler functionality is good. The
book documents it quite well.

The DAL is also quite convenient for updating data.

(3) depends on whether the processing can be done on the fly for graphing.