On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:15:20 PM UTC-8, Joe Barnhart wrote:

> I have a model file "0_globals.py" which I have under source control.  It
> defines overall constants for the site, including the connection string.
>  On each development machine I have a file "1_locals.py" which overrides
> selected variables in the globals file.  It is NOT under source control and
> is unique for each development machine (since I code from a variety of
> machines).
>
> Model files are loaded in alphabetical order, so the 0_globals file is
> loaded first, then some constants are overwritten by 1_locals.  This is
> simple and "grut" but it works amazingly well.  It also works without any
> special features of the source code control system (I don't use git but
> mercurial).

Niphlod's technique of source-controlling the locals file under a different
name (e.g., 1_locals_sys5) and then renaming it after the pull/clone would
still work.  This would allow you to track how a system is configured,
especially if it needs to evolve for new apps.  This doesn't require any
special features in mercurial, just an entry on your installation checklist
to make sure you do the rename (or copy).  But as long as you have the file
recoverable *in some way*, you should be good.

/dps