I was browsing through the web2py online book and noticed that some
pictures were not rendering in the browser.

Looking a bit deeper into it, I noticed that it concerns picture links over
HTTPS and that the certificate is not valid.
Example: On
http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/09/access-control#Integration-with-OpenID--Facebook--etc-

There is an image link to:
https://web2py.com/books/default/image/29/en6900.png

The browser reports a certificate issue (Server certificate doesn't match
the URL).
Indeed, the certificate is issued for pythonanywhere.com whereas the images
is on web2py.com

Just to let you know.

Best regards,
Tom.