Got your points now. :-)

Sure an "unzip and replace all" would work in most cases, and as you
mentioned, one more extra step is needed to upgrade the admin app (can
be done by an "web2py.py -u yes" although it halts at the end).

I can live with this approach. Yet I have to say, as a picky guy, I
still think it sounds a little dangerous to do an "unzip and replace
all" operation on a directory in which contains my precious app codes.
My heartbeat just rise to 120+ beats per minute when I did above
test. :-)  It would be better if web2py can support loading other apps
from a separated app directory.