I conducted a simple experiment. I took the "Welcome" app, surely the
simplest you can have (no databases, no concurrency, etc.), and added the
following to the index page:

def test():
    start = time.time()
    x = 0.0
    for i in range(1,5000):
        x += (float(i+10)*(i+25)+175.0)/3.14
    debug("elapsed time: "+str(time.time()-start))
    return

I get an elapsed time of 0.103 seconds.

The same exact code in a command line program...

if __name__ == '__main__':
    test()

gives an elapsed time of 0.003 seconds. *That's 35 times faster!* It's not
the 2 orders of magnitude I'm seeing in the pyShipping code, but my point
is proven. There is something hinky about web2py that makes Python code
execute much more slowly. Is web2py using a different Python version? As
far as I can tell, I only have Python 2.6.5 installed on my Linux server.