On 14 Mar 2014, at 11:28 AM, horridohobbyist <horrido.hobb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> First, I don't know how to use the profiler.
>
> Second, for something as trivially simple as the Welcome app with the
> calculation loop, what is the profiler going to tell us? That simple
> multiplication and division are too slow? That the for loop is somehow broken?
>
> Should I try to profile the entirety of the web2py framework?

I doubt that the profile would tell you much about the loop itself, but it
might show work going on elsewhere, which might be instructive.

> Clearly, the Welcome app is pointing to a fundamental issue with my
> Ubuntu/Apache2/Python/web2py installation (assuming no one else can replicate
> the problem). As the Linux server is a production system, I am limited to how
> much tinkering I can actually do on it.
>
> BTW, how does one actually shutdown web2py once it's installed and running
> via Apache?

It's running as a wsgi process under Apache, so you really need to shut down
Apache, or at least reconfigure it to not run web2py and then do a graceful
restart.

For this kind of testing (not production), it might be easier to run web2py
directly and use Rocket.