(I am the furthest thing from being an Apache expert as you can find.)

Well, whereever that puts you, I'll be in shouting distance.

I guess this means you are using defaults. The defaults are sensible for
small loads, so I don't think you would get better performance from
tweaking. These default settings should set you up with 15 threads running
under one process which for a small load should be optimal that is, it's as
good as it's going to get. You get these sensible defaults if you used the
deployment script mentioned in the web2py book (the settings are in the
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default file)

threads are faster than processes, but gunicorn and nginx don't even use
threads. They manage their workloads inside a single thread which makes
them fast as long as nothing CPU intensive is happening.

\