On Thursday 28 May 2009 17:48:30 mdipierro wrote:
> I am told that often being int the  Debian
> software repositories is an indication that a project has hit the
> "mainstream".
> What do we do to get there? Can somebody help?
I think I can help with some guidelines.
1) somebody should submit a RFP.
2) package must be prepared. That is one of the complex steps.
It should be not just packaged, the packaging should be thought-through - how
it would be on user system. Perhaps it will be a tarball in /usr/lib/ that
should be unpacked into current directory with some script? Since the user
often starts his work with creating an app - perhaps that script should
create initial app for him as well?
3) The package must follow debian packaging guidelines.
4) Since it is a python package - may be it should also follow python
packaging guidelines. Not sure about that because of un-tarring as the main
mode of operation.
5) package must be lintian-clean
6) some debian developer must sponsor an upload. There are some ways to do
that. Most quick and easy is to find fellow DD and ask him. Also there is a
chance in asking in debian-mentors maillist and such. Spreading the word also
helps.

Every point except may be (4) is essential and a MUST. If one thinks of
becoming a DD specially for uploading web2py - we warned - that process could
take more than year. And there are a lot of peole that want the same not to
speak of. Usually you have to be already active in Debian community to be
accepted.

Hope this helpful.

--
Sincerely yours