question 1 - sure, the memory should be reclaimed eventually. You could
tell the gc to collect immediately, but it operates on it's own time. Even
the .NET VM will hold on to memory for longer than it should if there's
nothing that needs that memory. You just call gc.collect() to have it
collect immediately.

question 2 - yea, don't do that :) try 'xrange(100000)' which is more
memory efficient.