I'm trying out using simple multiple=True tagging-style for Many<>Many
relationships (simpler than developing custom Forms & works on GAE).
Currently my way to get the data out of such a field seems rather
unwieldy - is there a better way?

e.g. if hiding menu options when users don't have access.
if using a non-multiple:

if auth.has_membership(module.access):
    response.menu_modules.append([T(module.name_nice), False, URL
(r=request, c=module.name)])

with multiple:

import re
authorised = False
groups = re.split('\|', module.access)[1:-1]
for group in groups:
    if auth.has_membership(group):
        authorised = True
if authorised == True:
    response.menu_modules.append([T(module.name_nice), False, URL
(r=request, c=module.name)])

What seems useful would be a gluon routine which meant we didn't need
to import the re module & was safer (i.e. handles either '1' or '|1|'
in the field)