Web2py has excellent backend processing. I think the way Massimo made
web2py to work supports less pure Ajax calls. I would recommend and request
that core functions are made to support pure Ajax say a one page website,
cause users now want to experience web apps as if they are desktop apps. On
the  other hand I have also been developing an app with dhtmlx framework
client based and using web2py calls. Works well but don't use inbuilt cool
features of web2py to process foreinstance forms. It would be cool to see
how a Ajax call can be handled by say form.procesd().

Teddy