Tables are in there but if you don't call db.define_table(...) DAL will not
know about them.

How are you running the script in private?

You can do something like this:
python web2py.py -S appname -M -R applications/appname/private/scriptname.py

This will run your models before running the script, so scriptname.py will
have access to DAL and everything.
Of course, this expects table definitions in application's model files.

Marin