Controllers:
@auth.requires_login()
def users_list():
    grid=SQLFROM.smartgrid(db.users, paginate=20, links_placement='left',
         links=[dict(header='', body=lambda row: A(I(_class='icon retweet
icon-retweet'),
         _href=URL('transition_form', vars=dict((f, row[f]) for f in
db.users.fields))))], user_signature=True)
    return dict(grid=grid)

@auth.requires_login()
def transition_form():
    for f, v in request.vars.iteritems():
       db.users[f].default = v
    form = SQLFORM(db.users)
    if form.process().accepted:
       response.flash = 'form accepted'
    elif form.errors:
        response.flash = 'errors on page'
    else:
        response.flash = 'facepalm'

    return dict(form=form)

It populates the transition_form properly it just doesn't insert the new
record when I click submit. It just doubles the record and returns the
response in the view. Also, when loading the transition_form page it
automatically flashes with 'facepalm' which means its processing the form
on load.