Internally, when you store a list of items in a list:string field, web2py
converts the list to a single string, with list items separated by the "|"
character. If you convert to a list:string field, you will need to modify
all of the existing records by wrapping them in "|" characters. So, for
example, "123 Home St." should be changed to "|123 Home St.|".

Please try this on a dev copy of the db before messing around with the
production database, though.

Anthony