If you're using a custom form for input fields, you may need to invoke
represent() explicitly.  I found this in
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/web2py/number$20format/web2py/Rn587zKW8MU/lzwVJw7naucJ
:

{{=db.table.column.represent(record.column, record)}}

If you're using CRUD or Grid forms, they use a widget I believe to format
the input field which I believe should use the represent function.