You can get a nice little server from digitalocean for $5 a month. They
have loads of great documentation, although in fact you can just use the
deployment script mentioned in the book. To be clear, you do a one-liner
and it downloads, installs and configures apache, digital certificates and
web2py (assuming you set up ubuntu).
Digitial Ocean has no contract so you can try it. It all depends what value
you put on your time, but this path will be faster and better.

You can get a free machine from amazon, although the amazon management
interface is a lot more confusing and has a much higher learning curve.

 Note that apache as set up for PHP is not really optimised for WSGI (the
python interface), which is another thing to think about. Most shared
hosters would use apache in prefork mode, which means a process spun off
for each request. This is pretty high overhead. A dedicated server means
you can use apache's threaded model (or even a different server).