Thank you for your reply, Michael & Anthony.

Michael: I really like this idea. What would my model look like?

I setup db.define_table('status',
     Field('id','integer'),
     Field('normal','string'),
     Field('warning','string'),
     migrate=False)

Would I have to populate the fields or can we just use the field names... I
want to make it to where the referenced table allows me to choose a color
for the selected column of interest (or cell).
So if my column looked like this:
Item | status
server | 1

The server cell would be green.Could I do this?