I used the following script for the setup:
http://web2py.googlecode.com/hg/scripts/setup-web2py-nginx-uwsgi-centos64.sh

I tried recreating logs folder under /var/www/web2py/, restarting uwsgi and
nginx - unfortunately the error occurs. Do I need to add specific
permissions for the logs folder? No idea. Do I even need to use the
web2py.socket? Isn't "127.0.0.1:9001" enough as uwsgi_pass value?

I have really small knowledge on the subject of configuring web2py on a
server, that's why I used the .sh script.