Much of the code used to create the form is also re-used when it comes time
to process the submitted form, so submitting back to the same action helps
avoid code duplication. You also don't have to worry about explicitly
specifying a URL for submission. In any case, self submission isn't
necessary. Do you have a reason for preferring an alternative pattern?

Anthony