let's start from scratch.
listwidget now just creates a ul with a class w2p_list for the listwidget.
all the other bits are taken care by
https://github.com/web2py/web2py/blob/master/applications/welcome/static/js/web2py.js#L84.
If you don't notice the "plus signs" around the listwidget, then there's
something going on in your template (or in your js) that prevents that bit
to apply.