I am classifying my users within groups (ie, carpenters group) but I am
wondering
if it would be useful or more efficient to also add a field in auth_user
(ie, is_carpenter).

Would it be faster to check the is_carpenter flag in the db or to do it
from the auth
system checking the membership of the user to the group?

Would it be better to do both?  use the group to restricting functions and
check
the field for other logic?

thanks...