Thanks Ron - My preferred way has always been to "log now, look later" to not
interupt the flow of the transaction/unit of work processing. Most of my "day
work"
is database programming where debugging is very limited or non-existent, and
that's the only way. (Nothing worse than staring at code and saying "but it
MUST be doing
this...") and being wrong.

Judging from the types of questions on this list from new users of web2py,
(including myself!),
being able to easily step through code is very useful. That, along with a
terrific editor like
Sublime Text (thanks Anthony! You recommended that after the conference earlier
this year,
and it is super), fills out the required toolset any developer should have:

  -  current codebase

  -  current documentation

  -  good logging

  -  able to step through a live program execution

Given that, and a good understanding of core principles (just what does happen
when a web server
processes a request, what is the syntax and semantics of the languages used,
etc),
a developer is pretty much able to understand what (and why) is happening.

Of course, the very first thing is having a plan of attack. I cannot recommend
this book
highly enough:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Solve_It

Don