You might want to check out PyAlaMode, the multifile editor that comes with
wxPython.  I think it has
autocomplete, and could be made web2py friendly.  The sources are all
there, of course.
The original developer's website www.orbtech.com has gone away, apparently,
but the code remains
in the wxpython package.

I've not gotten personal experience with it, but it's worth a look.