On Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:41:03 PM UTC+10, Niphlod wrote:

> it's a "general issue" with debugging remote processing
> http://pydev.org/manual_adv_remote_debugger.html
>
> BTW: if you launch the function in the shell, you won't have access to the
> inner workings of the scheduler but you'll see what our function/module/etc
> is doing.... the env in which tasks are executed within the scheduler is
> pretty much the same of web2py's shell with models loaded (./web2py.py -M
> -S appname).

I use a graphical IDE (Pycharm) and if I get stuck with a problem needing
debugging, I run the scheduler job via the web server (in development, i.e.
via the built-in Rocket server). That is, I make a controller which calls
exactly the same thing as the scheduler would.  So you just debug it
normally (which is remote debugging although It Just Works). As Niphlod
points out, this is for practical purposes the same environment.  The
scheduler process doesn't run the server code which allows remote debuggers
to connect (I think).